Anand has referenced the Texas startup blog that lists some advice on would-be entrepreneurs:
- Commit 13 months to making the business a success.
- Prepare your family for the 13 month commitment and get their buy-in.
- Work on and in your business for 12 hours a day (including weekends).
- Be prepared not to make any money for the first 13 months.
- Be prepared to change your business plan over and over until you get it right.
- Be prepared to do everything yourself.
- Be prepared to fight with your partners, spouse, friends and family.
- Realize that before you succeed it will seem like you have failed – don’t give up.
- Realize that if it was easy everyone would do it
I particularly liked the “Realize that before you succeed it will seem like you have failed – don’t give up.” I believe that is true to a great extent for any non-traditional, move that has enough risk in it, to make it an opportunity. There are times before you see the success that it would seem that you’ve failed.